Saturday, February 16, 2019

GERMAN

I forgot about this so-called alt-dictionary from 1905 that I picked up at an estate sale a few months ago despite its ratty condition. It was originally published in May of 1904 but must have been a success because my copy is the 9th edition published by The Robinson, Luce Company of Boston, Massachusetts. I'll add this to the blog and get tagged as fake news since the words are parodies.

I do like the one for POLYGLOT though. "A Parrot that can swear in several languages."

POLE-CAT is pretty bad/good as well: "A small animal to be killed with a pole, the longer the pole the better."

POSTSCRIPT bests them all: the only thing readable in a woman's letter.

But some, like the one for the definition of a GERMAN can only be understood as a scanned page and as a follow-up to the word GERM. Brilliant:


GERMAN

More animal life, living on beer.



from The Foolish Dictionary by Gideon Wurdz

No comments:

Post a Comment